Saturday, June 29, 2013

Proper Introduction

Seeing that Lauren and Kate have blown me away with an introduction about themselves, I figured I should at least attempt to properly introduce myself as well. First off, I recently graduated high school and am in the process of doing an internship for an experiential marketing company located in West Hollywood, CA. Unlike most people I always plan ahead and can't stand not being active. I love laughing and find I'm most happiest when I'm with my family. There's a lot more to who I am, but for now, I'll leave it at that.
I want to start by saying that I've developed a love for this blog. I think it's incredibly intriguing to see three different points of view from literally around the world (maybe one day Alexa will post and make that four). I'm honored to be sharing this blog with two other sophisticated, genuine and beautiful human beings. I love them to death and know that they will always be a part of who I am. They inspire me every day so I don't know what I would do without them.
With that, I can start by catching you up on my week. Last Saturday Alexa and I got to work on site at the Swatch Scuba Libre event. Swatch is a client of my Aunt's company who have hired us to promote their products. Their most recent line of watches is water proof so we brought in a giant water swing that consumers can ride. Our goal on site was to direct shoppers at a Newport mall to the Swatch store inside. Alexa and I got the lovely job of pushing people on the water swing.
It was actually a blast and kind of funny when I had to push/slow down an individual who was larger than me. I learned a lot just by watching the production of an event and have come up with a key theme of lessons I've learned over this week. Business and most importantly life, evolve around maintaining relationships. This means creating a good relationship with the client and with those who affect your everyday lives. It's about promoting what you want others to see and being able to trust the most important people in your life. There are different aspects to maintaining relationships, but it's overall beneficial to stay in contact and continue the flow of information.
The rest of the week I spent learning about how the accounting department handles transactions in the company. I've been entering bills into Quickbooks which is a database that holds all the company accounting information. For example, when an employee spends personal money on a company project, they turn in the receipts to then be reimbursed. I helped enter those numbers into the computer so those certain individuals can be paid back. I'm sure I've already lost you ha. Its sounds boring, but I have fun doing it....
On another hand, someone else this week gave me a very valuable piece of information. Jackie in PR talked to Alexa  and me about what she does. She explained that your job should be something you live and breathe. If you aren't dedicated in this way, you don't love it. This confused and frustrated me all at the same time. I so badly want to find that thing that I love to do. I like what I'm doing at Ncompass, but do I want to work with numbers for the rest of my life? GAH. I don't know, sometimes life is hard. I have a long time to decide these things, but I wish I knew now. I'll stop boring you all with my rant on jobs and start with something more exciting.
I also sat in on a few brainstorm meetings where we all threw out ideas for an event that a certain client wants to put on. Those were fun because everyone I work with are amazing at what they do. My new co-workers have surprising backgrounds as I have recently discovered. The IT guy worked with Tom Cruise and was on set during the filming of the new Star Trek and the new girl Lexi use to be Paris Hilton's assistant. This isn't everything I've discovered about my co-workers this week, but needless to say, they are the cream of the crop. This makes being one of the interns all the more intimidating.
Speaking of interns, we were officially put in charge of putting together an employee bonfire. This means we create a budget, hire catering, hire talent, come up with decor and execute the event. Yeah, I'm nervous. We performed our first site inspection to make sure our location works for the event and that was kinda exciting. I'm really enjoying planning all of it, I just hope it works out as well as planned.
This weekend Alexa and I plan to go to the beach and explore Santa Monica. Last night we took the Audi convertible and drove to the Third Street Promenade in downtown Santa Monica. Despite getting lost in an alleyway where a homeless person resides and having more than one person honk at us, we had fun. We met a HOT Californian guy working at Tilly's who we talked to for a little bit and that made my night. I want to ride my bike to Manhattan Beach and watch my cousin's waterpolo game. The weather is perfect because it's actually hot at the beach! Anyways, I'll try not to be so ADHD my next post, but you're all caught up now.

-Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment