Monday, August 12, 2013

Be Unique

It's now been a week since I ended my internship in LA and I can't stop thinking about how different it is going from one place to another. I learned a lot during my stay in California whether it was about life or about business. There's one thing, though, that I can't get off my mind. As I watched and learned from people around me in West Hollywood, I began to understand that being different isn't something to be ashamed of, it's something to be celebrated. Every single person in that office was unique, yet they were and are incredibly successful because of it. No matter what their background consisted of, they contributed their best to the company and made a difference in others lives.

I think it's important, especially for the transition I'm experiencing in life, to remember that uniqueness isn't a flaw. Being who you are for the reasons you want, make you attractive to the world, especially when you are confident in that identity. I always struggle, like Kate said with comparing myself to others, but really, what's there to compare? Every individual was made differently so why would you try to mold yourself into something you're not? I know it's a lot easier said than done, but constantly thinking about cherishing your uniqueness is at least a step in a positive direction.
I also learned that judgement blurs your interpretation of a human being. Judging others based on first impressions is a poor way to understand what a person is about. Keeping an open mind throughout our lives allows us to gain knowledge about people and experiences we otherwise wouldn't have learned from. Not to mention it makes life easier and more enjoyable. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. I write these words mostly for myself so that I can soak them up and better apply them to my life. However, I challenge everyone to appreciate who they are and live judgment free more often. I promise, you'll learn from it.

"A mind that is stretched by an experience can never go back to its old dimensions."- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

-Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment